Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Works for me Wednesday: What's for Dinner?

This week's Works for me Wednesday sounded like lots of fun, especially since I'm always looking for something new to try out on my family when it comes to dinner. So Shannon asked what you do when it's 5:15 and you haven't even thought about what you're feeding your crew: WHAT DO YOU DO??? Here are some of the meal-in-a-hurry ideas that we use.

In-a-hurry meal #1:

Orange chicken from Costco, white rice and steamed broccoli. Dinner is on the table in 25 minutes, or however long it takes to make the rice.

In-a-hurry meal #2:

Grilled meat (chicken, pork chops, steak), veggies tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and grilled along side the meat, and potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks and (surprise!) grilled in a foil pouch. As long as the meat is already thawed, dinner is again on the table in about 30 minutes.

In-a-hurry meal #3:

Chili, cornbread muffins and a green salad. Dinner in about 30 minutes, depending on how long it takes to make the chili and muffins.

In-a-hurry meal #4:

Anything from Rachel Ray's website, providing I have the ingredients on hand.

So there you go, faithful readers. And here's one I haven't tried at home, but would be so easy to do and would take only about as long as you'd need to boil the noodles:

Start with a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, slip the meat from the bones. Boil water and add whatever kind of pasta you like. (I would use penne.) Toss with just enough pesto to cover the noodles, chicken, pine nuts and artichoke hearts. If you're really going for decadent, add some bacon bits. Serve with a green salad and a loaf of French bread from the store. Yum, yum, yum!

1 comment:

Not the Queen said...

I love grilled veggies! I haven't tried the foil packs, though. I should get some of those. It's a little cold here to be grilling, though.