Saturday, August 25, 2007

Works for me Wednesday

I've been wanting to join in this discussion for several weeks, hosted by Shanon over at Rocks in my Dryer. However, it seems like each time Wednesday rolls round, my mind draws a blank and I can't think of anything witty enough to share. But, this week I got smart! I had a couple of ideas and I saved them in my blog archives so that I would remember what they are! See, I told you I got smart.

So, my tip for Works for me Wednesday is this: It's August in the Pacific Northwest, and that means that if you try to picnic with your family you're likely to draw yellow jackets. (Or as my Fresno friends call them, "meat bees." We knew a girl in California who was absolutely convinced that meat bees were a separate species from yellow jackets...) The yellow jackets can be pretty aggressive looking for meat and water, especially as the month goes on and the supply of those things gets shorter and shorter.

While discussing this with some neighbors of ours, we were saying that we didn't like to take the boys on picnics because we didn't want them to be stung. Then, Sarah gave us this great tip: Put a dryer sheet on the table (you might have to anchor it down with a rock or something) and the bees will stay away. I can't tell you why it works, but it does! We have even forgotten a few times, had yellow jackets actually landing on the table, and then scatter when the dryer sheets came out. It's amazing and it works for me!

4 comments:

LilyLakeMom said...

That is a great tip! We have not been able to sit on our patio these past few weeks because the bees come and the kids get scared. I'm going to give it a try! Thanks!

Lisa

Toni said...

I have heard of this for flies but not yellow jackets. Great tip!

Kathy in WA said...

Wow, you are kiding me! This really works? I was at the lake two days ago and every time I pulled out my salad a bee would zero in and torture me. Who knew I just needed a few dryer sheets to achieve luncheon peace. :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to try this.

We're in the Tacoma area. Haven't these sunny days been glorious!!

Duckabush Blog

Family O'Foxes said...

Great tip...I'm going to have try this...
I'm in Oregon and the yellow jackets are bad here.
~Amy